Los Angeles, CA
The mission of Citizens of the World Charter Schools (CWCS) is to create a national network of high-achieving, community-based public schools that each reflects the abundant socioeconomic, racial and cultural diversity of its community. Founded in 2010 by a team with years of experience establishing and managing charter schools, CWCS currently has regional entities in New York and Los Angeles that together serve 1,000 children. With current plans to expand operations from two to five regions by 2020 while also expanding the number of children served by each school, the organization is in active negotiations with two municipalities in different parts of the country. For additional information see the complete position description, or visit www.citizensoftheworld.org.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the President manages headquarters staff of eight including the various leaders responsible for strategy, academics, schools, and infrastructure (finance & systems), and will be viewed by already established schools and regions as the operational lead of CWCS. The President may locate in the mid-Wilshire, Los Angeles headquarters office or in another US city strategically located to the current and future regions of CWCS schools, with regular travel to Los Angeles. Headquarters staff provides strong guidance and support to each region and school, while each school is staffed and funded locally and is governed by its own Board under an operating agreement with CWCS. As the organization opens new schools, the headquarters function will grow in a deliberate way to provide both an appropriate operating infrastructure for CWCS, and various value-adding services to schools in the CWCS network. Local School Boards govern each school, and a CWCS National Board provides strong financial support and oversight as the CWCS headquarters organization continues to build capacity and expand its services.
Within a highly collaborative, roll up your sleeves culture, the CEO will: drive the organization’s expansion, lead the design efforts for the CWCS model, act as chief spokesperson to external constituents, and serve as the face of the organization. At the same time the President will aspire to helping CWCS grow quickly and intelligently through the development of appropriate standards and lightweight, flexible practices that provide various kinds of support valued by constituents.
The ideal candidate will have:
- a deep understanding of current, cutting-edge instructional practices, pedagogy and project based learning approaches;
- familiarity with K-12 schools and their operating culture;
- a good understanding of the charter school movement, education and other program standards within schools;
- experience training Boards and staff, and ensuring appropriate monitoring sensitive to the needs of each school.
- proven managerial and problem-solving capability, preferably in the nonprofit sector and/or rapidly growing, start-up environment;
- experience and significant knowledge of nonprofit financial accounting practices, including fund and grant accounting and revenue recognition issues;
- a strong, hands-on background in managing general accounting, budgeting and planning, procedures and controls, and analysis and reporting.
Along with a bachelor’s degree, infectious enthusiasm, combined with a passion for great schools that children and parents LOVE is required. An advanced degree is preferred. To apply, email Dave Santore at email@example.com