San Francisco, CA
Digital & Media Content Lead
Full-time Salary + Benefits HQ: San Francisco (Remote)
m/Oppenheim seeks a Digital & Media Content Lead to:
- produce original content;
- curate content created by partner organizations;
- develop new content partnerships through our nonprofit organization;
- drive content distribution, adoption and overarching brand awareness; and
- maximize earned and contributed content so that our digital content initiative funds itself and has working capital to expand coverage of civil society nonprofits.
Our digital content includes hundreds of webcasts, videos produced in partnership with PBS stations, original written articles and op-ed pieces, and material contributed by partners. Content can be viewed here.
m/Oppenheim recruits nonprofit leaders and draws attention to their work. Our organization’s mission is to strengthen civil society at high points of leverage. We deploy professional skills, systems and workflows to recruit nonprofit leaders; to inform and educate the public on how nonprofits strengthen civil society; and to get everyone involved in some way. Our efforts focus on nonprofit sectors of: Arts, Media & Culture; Children & Families; Education; Environment; Foundations; Health; Justice & Poverty. We produce four series currently: Nonprofit Report (webcast), Nonprofit Spotlight (articles), INSIGHT (produced with PBS stations) and mOp-Ed (opinion pieces). During COVID most of our producing effort on the media side has shifted to the Nonprofit Report webcast
Digital content produced revolves around how leaders and organizations deliver outcomes that strengthen nonprofits; different views on strengthening civil society and improving people’s lives; and on making wonky insider details accessible and exciting to the public. We feel nonprofits present a range of alternative paths to common goals based on where they are located, different constituent needs and circumstances, and a different view of what works. No one answer is going to be right for all communities. We avoid review based on pre-baked ideas of political parties and left/right divisions, preferring instead to focus on analysis, results and beneficial outcomes for people.
A key requirement for this role is a track record developing exceptional, focused, rich media content, with an eye toward what makes a piece interesting. We value exceptional writing, but this person can not afford to be inwardly facing. Drive and the ability to engage others in content creation are going to be key to success. The ability to balance production speed, quality and cost will be important, particularly in the first 12-18 months in the role.
A second key element is driving distribution. We need as many eyes as possible on this content, on as many platforms as possible.
The third key element is going to be an ability to develop earned and contributed revenue streams to make this initiative self-sustaining initially, then able to fund its own expansion. As a self-funded initiative, we will not be able to rely on loss-leading investments to buy new content and drive attention that evaporates as soon as funding diminishes. This is not a loss-leading startup.
This person will manage all content and marketing initiatives, and will design, develop, produce and coordinate all mOppenheim.TV’s written and video content. This person will:
- Create short-form and long-form content in a variety of formats (video, live shows, email, articles, etc) and for multiple distribution channels (website, fundraising campaigns, social media, etc).
- Produce videos, podcasts and publications, and collaborate with team members, clients, prospects and partners to tell compelling stories across all forms of content; in some cases, you will create the content, in others, you will manage the project;
- Monitor performance of our content by understanding how it’s being consumed, what’s resonating, what’s driving results – and you’ll use this information to optimize our content efforts.
- Develop new initiatives to increase brand awareness and expansion of services.
Our firm and team define strong civil societies as being based in embrace of difference and diverse perspectives, justice, democracy, voice, respect for all, truth & evidence, and an ability to deliver practical outcomes that benefit people. We seek others with similar values.
- Minimum 5 years professional work experience in content marketing;
- Education in journalism, marketing, business or a relevant areas – BA or MA attainment is preferred;
- A journalistic, story-telling mindset with a strong human interest component is favored, as is a sense of humor, play and judicious experimentation;
- Basic video and photo editing skills are favored;
- Strong executive function (on time, on budget), time management, project management skills are needed;
- Grant writing experience a plus.
- Strong intercultural awareness; demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in past work;
- Self starter, organized, outstanding follow through;
- Solution driven along with a high degree of attention to detail;
- Nonprofit experience or desire to serve mission driven organizations;
- Positive and focused with the ability to prioritize.
Submit the following to the attention of “Hiring Manager” with the subject line “CMM/YOUR NAME” Send application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Include the following:
- Resume and Cover letter explaining your interest in working for our firm and why you are a strong candidate for this position. Please stick to resumes with only text (i.e. without pictures, lines, colors and complicated layouts).
- Work samples, which can include videos, articles, audio pieces, photographs, illustrations, etc. At least 3 writing samples are required of the kind that would appear in a newpaper/news site, a magazine, or a site that provides content. Links to content are fine. Please only provide content that you personally have created.
- Writing sample: we will ask you to write some short original pieces as our process unfolds.
- Be ready to submit 3 references.
m/Oppenheim is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics.