San Mateo, CA
Chief Executive Officer
Samaritan House in San Mateo County is in the search for a nonprofit executive with exceptional leadership, people, and communication skills for the role of Chief Executive Officer to:
- Develop (with the Board) and drive the vision and strategy to meet community needs while sustaining and improving the quality of Samaritan House’s services and programs;
- Be a credible, visible presence in the community and active resource builder;
- Lead a talented, committed, self-directed team;
- Cultivate and solicit select key major and leadership-level donors and funders;
- Commit to continue fostering a dynamic, positive environment where staff are valued and empowered, volunteers are engaged, clients are treated with dignity, and the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion are practiced internally and externally.
Samaritan House is a force for change that listens, responds with empathy to need, and provides the kind of support that encourages self-sufficiency. For nearly 50 years, it has been leading the fight against poverty in San Mateo County and is the only organization that delivers the full breadth of essential services and personalized support to the working poor, including food, clothing, and housing support, worker resources, medical and dental care, and emergency financial assistance. During COVID, Samaritan House tripled its output of food, saw a 165% increase in health/mental health services, and supported the delivery of more than $115M in direct financial assistance.
Samaritan House’s business model is to gather resources and channel them to those most in need. Its partnership with Second Harvest of Silicon Valley makes it the largest distribution agency in the County. Such in-kind donations account for 18% of the organization’s FY22/23 $28M budget. Approximately 36% of revenue comes from community support, 44% from government contracts, and 2% from other sources. At its heart, Samaritan House is a professionally managed volunteer organization. Volunteerism is critical to the organization’s operations and culture and last year volunteers logged more than 33,000 hours. Samaritan House has a talented, collegial and collaborative staff of 140 and is governed by an engaged 18-member Board of Directors.
The CEO is the chief advocate and fundraiser for Samaritan House; a credible, authentic relationship builder and communicator; and holds the big picture strategy that sets the tone and culture for staff to do their best work and to fulfill the organization’s mission. The CEO has a strong understanding of inequities in our society and the challenges hardworking people have in making ends meet. The complete position description can be found here.
For additional information or to apply, please contact Lisa Grossman or Kevin Redick at info[at]moppenheim[dot]com