El Paso Museum of Art

EL Paso, TX


m/Oppenheim Associates is assisting the El Paso Museum of Art in the search for an experienced and energetic Director to orchestrate exceptional exhibitions, educational experiences and public programs, to creatively engage the community and visitors of the Museum, and to activate and expand the base of financial support.  As part of the search process we are reaching out to the community for suggestions and nominations. For more information, please review the complete Position Description.

Founded in 1959, the El Paso Museum of Art (EPMA) is a major cultural and educational resource for West Texas, New Mexico and Mexico with over 7000+ works from its permanent collection of American, Contemporary, European and Mexican art.  The museum has a diverse temporary exhibition schedule, robust educational and community programming, a research library and retail shop, and co-hosts the Ciudad Juàrez-El Paso Biennial, providing a forum to showcase the work of artists living and working close to the border.

The EMPA is located in El Paso’s Downtown Arts District, a lively area which welcomes 1.5M local, national and international visitors each year. The Arts District is anchored by the EPMA and includes the El Paso Museum of History, performing arts facilities, a convention center, a sports venue, public art, cultural venues, festivals, green spaces, and more. Plans are underway to build a Mexican American Cultural Center, a children’s museum, a large multipurpose event center, and the El Paso Streetcar Project with a station adjacent to the EPMA.

El Paso is a progressive city on the move. It is the 19th largest city in the country and has been ranked the safest large city in the US for four consecutive years. It is situated on the Rio Grande across the border from Ciudad Juàrez, Chihuahua, Mexico . Known as the Paso Del Norte Region (El Paso, Juarez, and Southern New Mexico), it is the largest bilingual, bi-national workforce in the Western Hemisphere.  El Paso is a thriving city that has seen $2B in capital investments in the past ten years. It has been said that “El Paso is doing more in 20 years than other cities do in 100.”

The EPMA is a municipally-funded museum with a $2.4 million budget for FY16. The city funds 70% of the budget for operating expenses and salaries, and the remaining 30% is raised by the El Paso Museum of Art Foundation Board for programming. The Director need only raise funds for additional programming, exhibitions and acquisitions, and will accomplish this by conveying a clearly defined vision for the future to current and next generation supporters.

Your suggestions and nominations are most welcome, and please feel free to forward this note as you deem appropriate.

For additional information, please contact Lisa Grossman at info[at]moppenheim[dot]com.

Go back to our website

Completed Searches